History

Hagley Oval, the spiritual home of Canterbury Cricket, is the home of the Riccarton Cricket Club where our pavilion is tucked away in the north western corner of the oval. For nearly 100 years Riccarton players have trained, played and reflected on the game from this position. It is a wonderful setting that evokes memories of teams and players long gone and of games won and lost.

The Riccarton Cricket club was established on 29th August 1905 as part of a new district based competition. Prior to the establishment of this competition the leading clubs were United and Midland who both played their cricket at Hagley. The implementation of the District Cricket Competition led to the demise of these clubs and the formation of new clubs based in recognised areas of the city such as Riccarton, West Christchurch, East Christchurch and St Albans joined Linwood and Sydenham to form the new competition.

In 1905/06 the clubs first season five teams played under the Riccarton colours, two playing in Third Grade and one in each of the other grades. The First Grade team finished runner up in their competition, Second Grade were undefeated and won their grade as did Third Grade A. Third Grade B finished fourth and Fourth Grade lower down the table.

100 years on the Riccarton Cricket Club has a proud history. It has produced six men's New Zealand representatives and nine women’s New Zealand representatives. The most notable of these being John Hayes, Dick Motz, Alby Roberts. The club has produced numerous men’s and women’s Canterbury representatives. Today the club fields six men’s teams, two women’s teams and two junior teams. The Riccarton Cricket Club can rightly claim it is one of Canterbury Crickets premier clubs and has been a club that values the traditions of the game and works for the greater good.